Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sunday #3- Shoulder the Quiet

A nasty head cold can really wipe you out. This is what has happened to me over the past few days. Jim took all 4 children to church by himself so I might be able to get some rest. It was amazing how quiet the house became. And it caused me to remember how when we first got married I would turn on the radio or leave the TV on, even if I wasn't watching or didn't really even like what was on, just so there would be some noise. Growing up in a family of nine kids, I simply wasn't used to the silence. But now...well...now is when I celebrate the quiet moments as they are so rare. In the quiet I can find peace of mind, the ability to truly focus on me, or what I am doing. And unlike most other times in my life...I am coming to like me and who I am, so being by myself and simply taking time for myself really is soothing.


On the other hand, one thing that has ALWAYS driven me crazy is to have someone look over my shoulder and watch me do something. Maybe this comes from that large family as well...not enough privacy...or maybe not. I really don't know...I only know that my loved ones have been fabulous in putting up with this quirk of mine. All I have to do is look Jim's way when he is doing it without realizing it, and he quickly finds something else to do. When we first got married I know this was a little frustrating for him...until he found that it had nothing to do with him, I feel that way with everyone. Do you have an unique annoyance like this, I would love to hear it? Or is it just me? Either way, it is part of who I am.

No comments: