Tonight we will start with the growing moment. December, and actually most months, do not pass without thinking of and remembering my sister, Alexis. She was/is an inspiration to me. She was born with Hydrocephalus and from the moment she was born my parents were told she wouldn't live past a few minutes...she did, then that she wouldn't live past an hour...she did, then that she wouldn't live past a day...a week...a month...a year...the next year. She amazed doctors for all nearly 11 years of her life. All who were privileged enough to work with her recognized her spirit for what it was/is...that of an angel.
While her death had been greatly predicted for years her passing Dec. 8th, 1993 hit our family hard nonetheless. I was in high school at the time and somehow got it in my head that her time of death was just after I had left for school. In my mind I thought over and over about how I could have stopped by her bedside and done something...anything...I plagued myself with these thoughts. I even got it, falsely, in my head that it was my fault somehow. Life and a desire to keep living it was really hard that December...until some really good and true friends talked me into going to a tri-seminary fireside on night.
The speaker that night was Michael McLean...a gifted musician well known for "The Forgotten Carols" and other amazing songs. He went about giving a fabulous "presentation" which I was enjoying as much as anyone in a numb state can. But then he stopped...not at the end of a story...not even at the end of a sentence...he stopped mid-word and grew silent. He looked out at the audience for a bit, and then said, "I am going to be doing something different than I had planned. There is a someone maybe more than one that has a special need tonight. So, whoever you are this is for you." And he proceeded to play his song "Together Forever".
It starts off..."Well it's hard to say goodbye and let go, and it's hard to see it end. When the memories we've just made may never happen again. But it's harder for time to ever erase the together times we've shared. So, when we're apart remember all the love we shared together and thank the Lord above for showing the way. We can be together forever someday..."
It goes on but you get the idea. I knew in this moment that my sister knew how much I was missing her, and more importantly that my Heavenly Father knew and was there for me. This is also when I started gaining a testimony of families being together forever. I won't say that it has been easy since that day...but it has been a TON easier than it was before. I still love her and still miss her being here to hug...but I know she is there watching over us when she can. Without having faced this...one of the HARDEST challenges of my young life, I wouldn't be who I am or where I am. I wouldn't have had the chance to know her precious spirit, and I wouldn't have been so blessed to know what a priceless treasure those that are physically or mentally challenged in this way are. Truly the most precious souls I have come across and continue to come across are those "trapped" in bodies that others see as less than perfect.
Now for the cherished moment...our doorbell rang tonight, and we opened the door to a young man who had a diaper box full of presents for my family. He simply said, "This is from two of your friends." Then handed me the box and started walking away. I hollered a pleasantly stunned, "Thank you...Oh, and tell them Thank you for me!" before closing the door and joining my family. I am teary eyed tonight...whoever you are, if you even read this...THANK YOU!
One of my most treasured and cherished Christmas memories not just having this done for my family as a child...but then turning around and doing 12 days of Christmas, and Sub for Santa's for other families after having spent the month going door to door selling ornaments to raise the money to do it. Ornaments handmade by my mother...again a post for another day. The best part was keeping it secret, running and hiding to make sure they didn't see us. But I also won't forget the priceless memories, as people caught on that our family would do these each year, of people coming up teary eyed and saying something like, "If it was your family that did this...Thank you. And if not and you know who did...Thank them for me/us! This really made our Christmas." I have dreamed of the day when I could pass both sides of this cherished memory on in full to my children...and now thanks to 2 amazing families/people my children too have caught the bug of Service at Christmas time.
As I brought the box into the kitchen and we looked at the names on the wrapped gifts, L.J. again said to me, "Mom, we should do a Sub for Santa." And I said simply, "We are...remember." And his eyes lit up even bigger and I knew...tears...I just knew that a precious gift that could never be wrapped was given again tonight. My heart is SO FULL of gratitude for good friends who truly care...and not just about us...and for family traditions that aren't just fun, they are filled with priceless lessons not soon forgotten! Thank you again to our Little Angels!!
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment